The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Nearly 20 million women in the United States will develop an eating disorder in their lifetime. And quite often, in an impossible quest for the perfect body, even seemingly simple decisions like choosing a bagel (with or without cream cheese) can cause stress and anxiety.
Body image, eating disorders and the imperfect quest for ‘perfect’
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 24, 2024

The more the sun shines and the temperature rises, the closer it gets to beach trips with friends and a volleyball in hand, busy boat days on...

If you build it, they will come

CSD’S Spartan Park baseball field is about to become a reality
Conner Shelton
Originally pictured in Spartan Park’s initial 2017 plans, construction of the long awaited and anticipated baseball field is nearing completion. If progress continues on schedule, both the junior, varsity and varsity teams will play home games on the brand new field before season end.

When CSD first began the construction of Spartan Park in 2017, planners had the dream of allowing student-athletes to be able to play the sports they love in an amazing complex that they could call home. 

During construction Phase 1, CSD began doing just that by adding a turf football field, a running track, tennis courts and an auxiliary practice field just below the football stadium. 

But something was missing. With all of this growth at the complex, Spartan baseball players wondered when it would be their turn to play at home. Home games at Mooresville’s Moor Park honestly did not feel like playing at home. Huntersville’s Bradford Park felt a bit transient, too.

Many upper class  players hoped just to get the chance to play one season at a consistent home field. Previous classes graduated. Never having had the opportunity because the field existed only on paper. Baseball seemed to be the one field that the complex did not have.

Finally, though, in 2022 discussions surrounding the field became action and Phase 2 began happening. In 2023 the field finally was under construction.

by late October 2023 the field was beginning to take shape with backstop fencing and the infield foundation in place. (CSD Journalism class photo)

With a nod to the many CSD athletes who won’t get the chance to play on this field, the younger students – the future of CSD baseball – are now very excited. 

Junior, Brandon Hettwar (‘25) said, “The home-field advantage we will have is awesome because we won’t have to travel far, and hopefully more students will come out and support the team.”

Speaking of fans, the baseball team has always struggled to get a bunch of students out to watch the games. Perhaps it was because the home field was far away or perhaps it was the play of the team. 

In the last few years the team has improved and Spartans are being talked about more. The hype became especially real following a state semifinal appearance in 2022. 

The ability to have a home field and more students coming out to the game means everything for the athletes. It gives the team the opportunity to grow and develop. 

Current athletic director, John Belissimo, said, “The addition of a baseball field at Spartan Park is a game-changer for the CSD baseball program, offering a dedicated and state-of-the-art facility for our athletes to train, compete and excel. With this new resource, the program is poised for significant growth and development.”

The new field also gives Spartan athletes and supporters a sense of identity and belonging.

“Having a dedicated baseball field provides the program with a home base, fostering a sense of identity and belonging among players, coaches and supporters,” John Bellissimo said. “This strengthens the program’s culture, as athletes come together to share experiences, train and compete in a unified environment,” Belissimo said.

While construction continues, there is an end to it in the foreseeable future. And that means this year’s current baseball players, especially the class of 2024 seniors, may have a chance to play on their new home field for the first time. Looking ahead to the rest of the year, current seniors should be very excited as the baseball field looks to be completely done by mid to late April. This would allow for seniors to get a little taste of a new home field advantage before they graduate. 

“We look forward to hosting many seasons of both MS and HS baseball games out there for our Spartans,” John Bellissimo said.

CSD’s very own field of dreams is about to become a reality.