The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Lily Miller (‘24) is ready to leave school with her floaties, prepared for anything or anyone who might try to get her out of the game.
All is fair in love, war and Senior Assassin
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 29, 2024

The game starts at noon tomorrow, my phone read. The very sight of the message was enough to get me to stop in my tracks. Excitement mixed...

2024 CSD spring sports overview

As winter melts away, spring sport Spartans begin their seasons
Callie Hobbs
It’s a sure sign of spring when baseball bats, cleats, gloves, lacrosse sticks, tennis rackets and track & field bags line the walls by the gym doors each day.

Winter and fall seasons have both passed, and with the arrival of spring comes the fresh start of the spring sports season at CSD. Nearly one dozen different teams across six sports  – baseball, men’s tennis, men’s/women’s lacrosse, track and field, men’s golf and women’s soccer – are all officially in season and ready to compete in NCHSAA 2A conferences.  

Baseball returns with both varsity and junior varsity teams. The junior varsity team consists of 11 freshmen while the varsity team has three sophomores, six juniors and 10 seniors. Not already listed are two freshmen and two sophomores who are playing for both teams. In total, 34 student-athletes fill the baseball rosters this spring.

Head coach TJ Albert and assistant coach Jeff Moree lead the baseball team through their 18 games this season, including eight home games at Moor Park. The baseball field currently under construction at Spartan Park may possibly host play towards the end of the season.

Unfortunately, there were not enough softball players to make a team this year so CSD will not participate in the spring 2024 softball season.

Men’s tennis takes to the court this spring with a team of 11 players, including five freshman, four sophomores, one junior and one senior.

Head coach Colin Rudisill leads the Spartans into their 16 match season including nine home matches at Spartan Park.

“This season I’m most excited about the tennis team improving,” said tennis player Max Shealy (‘26). “I’m trying to just improve my skills because this is my first year doing tennis so hopefully I can get better by the end of the season.”

Both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams have started their seasons, too.

The men’s team has 38 players, including 17 freshmen, 10 sophomores, four juniors and seven seniors.

They have 19 games on their season schedule including nine home games at Spartan Park. Head coach (and athletic director) John Bellissimo and assistant coaches Alex Manning and Clarkson Meredith serve as the team’s higher leadership.

The women’s team has 19 players, including four freshmen, four sophomores, six juniors and five seniors.

“I’m most excited to bond with my teammates and play some great games this season,” said WLAX player Sadie Strickland (‘25).

With a combined total of 57 players between the men’s and women’s teams, Spartan lacrosse is hopeful for a strong year. (Callie Hobbs)

They play 13 games this season including six home games at Spartan Park. Kyra Gangemi is the team’s head coach.

Track and field also returns for its second consecutive season with a team of 36 athletes, including 10 freshman, seven sophomores, 10 juniors and nine seniors.

Shaina Burns continues into the spring season with her position of head coach as her team participates in eight meets including one home meet at Spartan Park.

“I’m most excited to watch me and my teammates grow mentally and physically,” said track athlete Taylor Worley (‘25). “Track is an independent sport but it’s also a team sport and running is a lot more fun when you have other people pushing you to get better.”

The golf team has a total of six players, including two freshmen, two juniors and two seniors. There is also one senior team manager.

Because the team’s home course at The Peninsula Club is closed for a complete renovation, their home green has been moved to The 500 Club where they play two home matches.  In total, CSD golfers now play eight golf matches.  Head coach Skip West trains and leads his team through the season.

Golfers are optimistic not only for the challenge of the season, but also for the chance to improve.

“Probably just being able to improve and be with friends and play a bunch of different golf courses around the area,” said golf player Owen Hamilton (‘25) when asked for what he is most excited this season.

Women’s soccer starts the season with a full roster of 19 players including seven freshman, four sophomores, five juniors and three seniors.

The team has 20 games scheduled including nine home games at Spartan Park.  The head coach is Lee Ennis and the assistant coach is Stephen Mitchell.

In total, 164 student-athletes across all four classes represent CSD in the six spring sports.