The merits of holiday travel

El Stein

Holiday travel is a much needed classroom break for students. It can take you anywhere and teach you so much

Emma Davis, Social Media Editor

Off you go, running out the door on your way to make it your flight. The holiday rush hour has kicked in, as usual, complete with being stuck in traffic and the clogged lines through TSA. All the negatives you could imagine when it comes to traveling are on full display. 

So why travel during the holidays? Why put yourself through all of that? 

When I asked why people travel for the holidays, there were many answers.

“To explore the world and make new experiences and memories for the holidays,” said Ella Barber (‘24).

“To see your family,” said Molly Feighery (‘24).

Personally, I find traveling during the holidays to be one of the most desirable experiences. Being in Rome on Christmas Day is really is a unique experience. 

Rome on Christmas Day is definitely a bucket list item. The Pope comes out of the Vatican to greet the crowd and say a prayer. The streets are decorated with Christmas decor and filled with a constant hum of music. You are also able to see some of Rome’s multiple tourist attractions. These range from the Coliseum (one of the 7 Wonders), the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon to the Spanish Steps.

With Rome being an inland city you are also able to see Florence fairly easily. Florence is a 2 hrs and 42 minute car ride from Rome which is definitely worth the trip. Florence contains another Wonder of the World, the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 

To see more of Italy, I would definitely recommend the 15 day cruise which takes you around Rome, Valencia, Genoa, Palma de Mallorca, Sicily and Marseille.

If I could share one travel tip or a piece of advice, it would be related to packing. From my experience with packing, I suggest avoiding overpacking, mainly because of bag weight limits and carry ons. Since the outerwear in Europe tends to be more dressy and casual, I suggest bringing a good pair of sneakers, especially for walking.

So, to whoever is reading this, wherever you hope or plan to go, I wish you the best of luck with your holiday travels. Off you go.