Does playing at a bigger (or better) high school help your chances of playing a sport in college?

Photo by Conner Shelton

The banners hanging in the gym are just one of reminders of Spartan athletic spirit.

Conner Shelton, Sports Editor

The goal of playing college athletics is essential for many high school students as they look to continue their athletic careers. Believe it or not, the size of the high school you attend can affect what college you end up attending if you want to play sports.

Recruiting happens everywhere. No matter what high school you attend, if you have the ability to play sports at a high level, you will get looked at by a lot of schools. Schools that have had a history of athletes that have had students go on to play a sport in college will receive more scouts due to their reputation. 

“There is certainly something to be said about long-standing sports programs at high schools with proven track records of success,” said Jessica Smith, CSD guidance counselor.

Schools that do not have big and established sports programs may not receive that same attention. 

No matter what school you attend though it is up to the athletes to reach out to colleges and show their interest in playing for them. The most direct way is to reach out to a coach is to send him/her your information to show that you are interested. Athletes who do this are going to receive the attention they need to move on and play at the next level. 

Playing sports outside of school is good, too. 

Jessica Smith said, “A lot of students are getting some good attention from playing clubs, rec or travel leagues or any summer leagues.”

CSD isn’t a big high school by enrollment size (125 students per high school grade) but it has had a reputation for success. Athletes like Christian Keel (‘22), Baylor Nelson (‘22), and Michaela Deas (‘22) have all gone on to play D1 sports in the past year. Christian plays baseball at Brown University, Baylor swims at Texas A&M and Michaela plays soccer at Appalachian State.

CSD‘s high school weight room is busier than ever during the day and at after school practices (Photo by Conner Shelton)

What helped them get looks? Part of their reasons for success has been reaching out to coaches, playing better competition and playing travel, club or any other type of way to play their sport. 

One thing CSD does a great job of doing is playing higher competition. For example, last year the baseball team played South Point and Randleman. Both are really big schools with D1 prospects. Playing with big schools can and will get athletes noticed even if they don’t think it will.

So you can see how schools with a reputation for success are going to receive the most attention, however, in schools that aren’t that big, students can still receive the attention they need by reaching out to coaches and participating in out-of-school activities such as rec, travel, clubs, and any leagues. No matter what school you attend, make sure you advocate for yourself so you can continue your athletics career in college.

Multi sport banners show CSD athletic excellence. Photo by Conner Shelton