The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Nearly 20 million women in the United States will develop an eating disorder in their lifetime. And quite often, in an impossible quest for the perfect body, even seemingly simple decisions like choosing a bagel (with or without cream cheese) can cause stress and anxiety.
Body image, eating disorders and the imperfect quest for ‘perfect’
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 24, 2024

The more the sun shines and the temperature rises, the closer it gets to beach trips with friends and a volleyball in hand, busy boat days on...

After a shocking bracket reveal, it’s time for college football playoffs to take center stage

Conner Shelton
New Year’s Day determines if the selection committee gets it right. The top four teams play in the two biggest bowl games.

Championship Saturday is one of the most anticipated college game days of the year. There are teams trying to win a conference championship (some for the first time) and others trying to improve the rankings and become more appealing for bowl selection. it has a crazy and unpredictable day from the first game to the last whistle.

However, the 2023 championship Saturday might just go down as one of the craziest in recent years.

While there were many different teams across the country playing for a conference championship, five games had the most significant impact on the College Football Playoffs (CFP). Six main teams played knowing they had a trip to the CFP on the line. Those teams included (at the time) top ranked Georgia, 2nd ranked Michigan, 3rd ranked Washington, 4th ranked Florida State, 5th ranked Oregon, 7th ranked Texas and 8th ranked Alabama.

Washington played Oregon for a spot in the CFP, Alabama played Georgia for what seemed like another spot in the playoffs, while Michigan played Iowa, Texas played Oklahoma State and Florida State played Louisville. 

Most people expected Georgia, Michigan, Texas and Florida State to take care of business, however nothing could have prepared fans for what was about to happen.

It was a crazy day. Washington beat Oregon in a closely contested game which pretty much secured the Huskies a playoff berth. Texas blew out Oklahoma State to give them a strong chance to make the playoffs. Florida State snuck out of the Atlantic Costal Conference (ACC) Championship with the win over Louisville. Michigan blanked Iowa and Alabama pulled off an impressive win against top ranked Georgia. 

With all of this chaos mixing up Championship Saturday, no one knew what to expect when it came to selection Sunday. With their wins, three teams – Michigan, Washington and Texas – likely solidified their spot in the playoffs. However, the last spot was in the air. Projections and final scores aside, no one really knew who was going to get the 4th and final spot in the CFP.

Three main teams – Alabama, Georgia and Florida State – had high hopes. Georgia had longshot hopes since they had already been beaten by Alabama. Florida State had the best chance of getting into the playoffs being an undefeated Power Five Conference Champion. Alabama also had a great shot as they had just taken down the number one team in the nation. 

But it didn’t matter what each team thought, it ultimately came down to what the CFP committee thought. 

Things got interesting when the final rankings were announced. To no one’s surprise Michigan finished number one, followed by Washington at two and Texas at three. So it left the last spot in the playoffs and after a long day of discussion the CFP committee ultimately decided to give Alabama the last playoff position.

Immediately following the selection show, people all over the country expressed shock, disbelief and anger all over social media. And rightfully so. They had a good argument. Not once in college football history had an undefeated Power Five Conference team not made the playoffs. This angered a lot of people. 

While many people disagreed about this decision, others supported it. The fact of the matter was that FSU was missing their star quarterback,Jordan Travis, and without him the Seminoles really couldn’t get anything going on offense against Louisville. The committee ultimately decided that if FSU was put in the playoffs they would get crushed, and blowouts, especially in highly anticipated game for viewers, don’t make for great storylines.

The rule for the playoffs is the best four teams make it, not the most deserving. So, while yes, FSU had an amazing season, there is just no way they would be competitive in the playoffs. 

Alabama, on the other hand, had been playing off the charts recently and after beating the number one team in the nation, the committee did not have an easy decision on their hands. 

All of the hate that the committee is receiving is going to come back and bite people in the butt. 

After a shocking bracket reveal, it’s time for college football playoff games to take center stage. This 2023 playoff bracket is full of talent and must watch games. The committee picked the four best teams in the country and they will play on New Year’s Day.  Michigan and Alabama clash in the Rose Bowl at 5:00 PM EST and Texas takes on Washington in the Sugar Bowl at 8:00 PM EST.

With the selection show behind us, it is time to sit back, relax and enjoy two amazing football games.