Advice from 2023’s seniors

Courtesy of The Shield yearbook

On Decision Day, many of CSD’S class of 2023 seniors chose to wear their new college sweatshirts to school. Advice from seniors helps underclassmen grow and learn as they move up in high school.

Evan Mulligan, Staff Writer

The 2022-2023 school year is almost over and with that there are a new batch of seniors willing to share advice with those in lower grades.

One of the popular themes relates to clubs and getting involved. Getting involved in your school is actually a good idea because it helps build a sense of community, allows students to learn new things and it can look good on college applications.

Chloe Charlet (‘23) said, “Try to get involved in clubs, and don’t be afraid to reach out to people’’

Social interaction can also help students grow and build a sense of community in high school.

Sophia Kritzer (‘23)  said, ‘’Get involved with your school and put yourself out there.”

When it comes to classes, seniors say it is important to ensure that you have academic success before you go to college.

Gavin Godfrey (‘23) said, “Stay focused on school and use the time to get your GPA up.”

Getting behind on work is never fun, and that is especially true in classes where there is lots of homework.

“Don’t get behind on your work, especially in classes where you have daily homework,” Samuel (Beck) Hardin (‘23) said.

For those seniors who have fallen behind, senior flex week is their last opportunity to get caught up and finish strong. Seniors use this time to get their GPA’s up and complete missing work, along with finishing projects and doing seat recovery. Others use it to complete internships, job, shadow and fine-tune college plans.

And speaking of grades, colleges take GPA into consideration during the application process, so it is important to keep it up.

Patrick Simon (‘23) said probably the best advice for all underclassmen who are concerned about grades. He simply said, “Keep your GPA up as early as possible.”

Seniors graduate and get diplomas for a reason. Their experiences in and out of the classroom can help underclassmen better understand the path they should take towards success