From your advisor as we wrap up the year – deadlines and commitments

Photo courtesy of Mr. Savicki

As you look ahead, please never forget the past. In our case, as student journalists this year, may this end of the year sunset lead to many new sunrises.

Mike Savicki, Journalism Class Advisor/Teacher

To my student journalist colleagues,

The world of journalism revolves around two words, deadlines and commitments.

Delivering accurate, ethical, professional, detailed news in a timely fashion is what deadlines are all about in this trade.

And committing yourself to working hard, staying focused, finding leads (ledes), creating storylines, interviewing subjects, researching additional information, getting it right and making sure the final product meets your own high expectations is what being committed is all about as a journalist.

This year, as your advisor, I tried to hammer home deadlines and commitments and help you learn, grow and become better as student journalists and, perhaps more importantly, as thinkers, by keeping my foot on the gas and pushing you even when you did not want it.

I’ll bet all of you can think of at least one example where you thought to yourself, “Stop talking, Mr. Savicki, leave me alone. I know what I have to do and I know when it needs to be done, I’m getting there, but I also have a ton of other classes and assignments to work on, as well, so thank you, I’ve got it.”

But here’s secret #1. The world does not come in a nice, neatly well wrapped package. To succeed, we must learn how to multitask.

And in journalism, the ability to multitask is an important skill. You might be finishing one story when you get an idea for another, and another and even another. Or you might draw a blank day after day. An older story might require follow up. And there are all those ideas that bounce around in your head. What do I do with those? As journalists, you figure it out and make a plan.

Here’s secret #2. All of you showed you can do it. You can multitask and be great. You have more than proven yourselves.

The work you created speaks volumes. Be proud!

Deadlines and commitments.

Right?

I have loved every minute of the time our team has spent together this year from when we first introduced ourselves almost 10 months ago (and took uncomfortable staff pictures) to right now, when you are all but finished and have one foot out the door. I have loved watching you grow, learn, interact with each other and come together as a production team.

We ARE a team you know. To deliver what we have done required everyone to contribute. When some of us were down, others stepped up and delivered. Watching that happen again and again was magical.

You may not know it, but the work you created and the news you shared made a huge impact on so many. (It still does!) Pat each other and yourselves on the back as you head off for the summer. And never forget that you are a storyteller and a journalist.

You matter. You belong. 

There is a song by The Killers entitled Deadlines and Commitments.

“If you should fall upon hard times, if you should lose your way, there is a place here in this house that you can stay.”

Your place, my friends, is as journalists. All of you!

“Don’t hide away, there’s something to be said for pushing through.”

All of you have proven that you can push through difficult times. And let this just be the start, OK?

Deadlines and commitments.

What you have done this year is magical.

Thanks for having me along for the ride.

Mr. Savicki