Accommodating Muslim students and being aware during Ramadan

March+23%2C+2023%2C+marks+the+first+day+of+Ramadan+for+Muslims+around+the+world.+Ramadan+is+a+Muslim+holiday+which+is+the+9th+month+on+the+lunar+calendar.+It+is+either+29+or+30+days%2C+depending+on+the+cycle+of+the+moon.+

Marc Smith

March 23, 2023, marks the first day of Ramadan for Muslims around the world. Ramadan is a Muslim holiday which is the 9th month on the lunar calendar. It is either 29 or 30 days, depending on the cycle of the moon.

Marc Smith, Staff Writer

While most high school students are aware of days off, teacher workdays and major vacations, few know about Ramadan.

March 23, 2023, marks the first day of Ramadan for Muslims around the world. Ramadan is a Muslim holiday which is the ninth month on the lunar calendar. It is either 29 or 30 days, depending on the cycle of the moon. 

Observers are asked to follow many requirements. They fast from dawn to sunset for the whole month. They are also supposed to be more involved by reading the Quran and praying more often. They are also supposed to stay absent at this time from things like drinking, smoking, lying and fighting.

The last 10 days of Ramadan are the holiest days of the month and often come with more requirements like longer prayers.

The month of Ramadan presents unique challenges to the students who observe it. Because of fasting and observing, students probably may not have the stamina they typically do. They have diet restrictions and spend much more time in the mosque doing extra prayers late at night so extra homework might also be a barrier.

Because not many CSD students and families know about Ramadan, students who observe it are often asked questions they might not be ready or willing to answer. Some students simply want privacy.

So what should schools and students do during this time? There are no right answers, but there are definitely guidelines schools and students could follow.

Schools should be mindful of Ramadan observers and make sure the curriculum at the time allows room for free time to practice religion. At lunch, schools might also think about having separate spaces where Muslim students might choose to spend their lunch periods.

Ramadan is a special time that should be respected.