Upcoming SGA elections

Ben Gallagher, Staff Writer

Student Government Association (SGA) is an organization that meets every Friday during fourth block. It is composed of students who are elected by their peers and their job is to guide their fellow students and uphold the policies of CSD. “Something we have been doing a lot more of in SGA is taking problems students or admin might have into consideration whenever we have discussions,” said CSD Sophomore, Nicholas Daniels.

They also are charged with the management of events such as clubs, homecoming, and pep rallies. During these events, like homecoming, SGA members help direct students, make announcements to the school body, schedule the senior boys vs. the varsity girls volleyball game, and work with the administration to finalize the Homecoming Parade schedule. 

The clubs that are promoted here at CSD are approved by SGA before being presented to leadership for final approval. If you wish to start a club at CSD, you first email SGA and they send you a form to fill out. Once complete, it is reviewed by the administration and, if approved, the club is made official. The club leaders are then given access to Schoology where they can add students to their club and make announcements. 

In the last week before we pause school for winter break (13th-17th of December), the SGA elections will be held for both sophomores and juniors. Students are given the opportunity to nominate themselves for the positions of class representative and will be voted on by their fellow students.

“Students who choose to run will create informational posters used to explain why they should be elected and hang them in the media center windows,” Senior and longtime SGA member, Hank Wolfe explained. These will decorate the hall for a week, allowing students to read and consider who they should cast their ballot for before official voting is opened. 

The polls are to open December 15 on Schoology; a form will be posted for the entire student body. Two spots will be held for sophomores and two for juniors with another pair of offices awarded to the two people with the next highest votes. Being a sophomore or a junior is irrelevant for these last two positions. 

Each SGA member’s term runs on a calendar year rather than a school year. Elected sophomores and juniors will stay in office until December of 2022 when another election will be held. Once these winter elections have come to a close, there will be a total of eleven SGA members in CSD, with the seniors fading into the background to mentor the juniors for when they run the student government. 

When asked why she nominated herself, Kaitlyn Martinez, junior, answered, “I nominated myself because I truly want to help my school and make it a place [with a] more enjoyable environment.” Her poster currently sits in the Media Center window with additional information.

SGA can also prepare its members for their upcoming life. It teaches them leadership and responsibility while still being managed by an authority. Offering safety if you mess up is something not often found later in life, so SGA is unique. Junior, Chloe Mann, says, “Being a part of SGA would help strengthen many skills to help prepare me for life after high school. Through SGA, I believe I would learn how to be a good leader and I would gain a deeper understanding of how to solve problems and share ideas in a group setting. These skills will help prepare me for college and life in general.”