It’s More Than Just a Song

“We are the shooting stars, and we are here to show you that you can join our growing chain of love, hang in hang will grow.”

Hope Mullins, Copy Editor

If you have been around the elementary school at the Community School of Davidson before, you have likely heard these words. If you are an OG CSD student like myself, you have definitely heard and sang these words over 100 times. No, I am not exaggerating. These words are not just words, but the chorus to CSD’s anthem: the Shooting Star Song.

So what is this song? Why do so many know it? Before CSD was CSD, the school was known as Children’s Community School, CCS, and the logo was a shooting star.

“Ms. Laurie Loomer wrote the song when I had the first class in kindergarten at CSD before it was CSD,” exclaimed Leslie Tomko, CSD administrator. “She wrote it [the shooting star song] for our class, and that’s how it became our school song.” Loomer would teach the students the movements in music class, and the students would perform it every morning.

Not only is the song CSD’s theme song, but there is a meaning behind it as well. “I think that she [Loomer] wanted to show unity, love, togetherness,” Tomko said. “I think it is really important. When we first started our morning meetings, we would say the ‘I am’ creed and sing the shooting star song, and that was part of our routine and ritual we would do each day.”

“I feel like CSD created this song because, one, it seems like the CSD thing to do, and we are a very inclusive school, happy and positive, so making the song is what defines who we are,” Emma Harrison, senior at CSD, said. Harrison thinks that the song is a good representation of the school because “CSD is known for trying to make everyone the best person they can be and help everyone succeed in whichever path they choose to go.”

The shooting star song is not just a memory from the past. The song is still sung to this day by students in the lower building. Nora Keith, CSD 1st grader, said she loves to perform the song in the morning and always has a fun time singing it. 

Overall, the song is more than just a song. It is a meaningful anthem that communicates a powerful message as well as knitting the older students together with the younger. It is something that students at CSD have many memories of, and it creates a bond between all the students.