The (New) Road to College

The (New) Road to College

Lauren Whitley, Editor in Chief

It is absolutely no secret that 2020 looks different than any other year. Covid-19 is the epitome of “unprecedented times.” (If I hear that phrase one more time, I might just go off the rails.) But this one way ticket into the unknown took us straight into the heart of the most exciting, and not to mention stressful, times for seniors. Buckle up everyone, it’s time to apply to college. 

By the time August rolled around, those 50 million emails from a hoard of colleges and universities finally began to have some real meaning. They became more than just a name on a subject line. I began to envision myself living on different campuses. I began to understand the meaning of what I have been working toward for the past three and a half years. Not long after August came September, when those thoughts were put into action. Common Application accounts were made while Seminar instruction is in full swing. 

But the process looks slightly different than past years. In the UNC School Systems, standardized test scores are not being required due to a heavy swarm of Corona cancellations. Many application strengthening summer programs were canceled due to lockdown and state restrictions. So, that leaves the big question: How will colleges review this year’s applications?

“Standardized tests have been postponed or canceled; therefore, colleges and universities need to look at student applications with other methods and approaches,” explained Karen Raboin, CSD school counselor. “I think this is good as it forces the institutions to look at our students in a different light than just test scores.” 

With this in mind, seniors have had to be more mindful than ever when choosing an essay topic. The focus on essay craft and meaning has ultimately become the “wow factor” for the 2020-2021 application season. 

“I have to carve out even more time in my busy schedule to do aspects of my college application such as essays,” said Jacob Andrews, CSD senior. “The hardest part about the college application process is trying to find time outside of school and my other commitments to work on them.”

Notable application deadlines are fast approaching. UNC Chapel Hill and the University of Georgia dawn the Early Action deadline of October 15, while schools like North Carolina State, UNC Wilmington, and Appalachian have deadlines on the first of November. Quickly approaching deadlines and online school work amounts to what senior Sylvia Sriniwass deems “a stressful and daunting experience.”

“The mood will change once the applications are submitted as then the wait begins. It’s part of the process!” exclaimed Raboin. “Just think, in a few months, plans will be made, and plans will change. Just keep in mind that a letter that is not what you wanted is a redirection letter. It is sending students in a different direction, and it will all work out for the best!”

On that note, I wish my fellow seniors well on their newest endeavors. “Unprecedented times” aside, us Spartans have so many people on our side as we continue to navigate our way through this experience.