The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Nearly 20 million women in the United States will develop an eating disorder in their lifetime. And quite often, in an impossible quest for the perfect body, even seemingly simple decisions like choosing a bagel (with or without cream cheese) can cause stress and anxiety.
Body image, eating disorders and the imperfect quest for ‘perfect’
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 24, 2024

The more the sun shines and the temperature rises, the closer it gets to beach trips with friends and a volleyball in hand, busy boat days on...

Spartan Questionnaire* (#6) featuring coach Matt Forrest (*where we take a break from AP Style writing and get right to the good Q&A stuff with CSD people)

Isabel Sands

In his first CSD year teaching 8th grade and open gym class plus coaching women’s varsity basketball, coach Matt Forrest has already become a favorite in the eyes of many of the students. His sense of humor and laid-back personality make it easy for the students to come up and talk to him. Many students consider coach Forrest to be the teacher they go to when they need an adult’s opinion on something that’s upsetting them. Students go to the gym to take a break from the long day and feel comfortable, and coach Forrest aids in creating that atmosphere. He is always happy to see everyone and helps brighten up their day. 

Waffles or Pancakes?

“Definitely pancakes.”

Favorite sports team?

“It has to be the Florida Gators, Orlando Magic and the Panthers.”

Favorite song?

“That’s a tough one…I’ve been to a couple of his concerts, so Everything I Love, by Morgan Wallen.”

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Florida and moved here a few years ago because I thought it was close enough to my family and a great place for my kids to grow up.”

What’s your favorite mantra?

“Mamba mentality. It’s so important. You only get as much out as you put in. So give everything your best effort and be the best you can be. 100%, 100% of the time.” 

Have you met anyone famous at a sports game?

“Yes, I have. I met Charles Barkely once.”

What’s your favorite city?

“Las Vegas. I lived there for 3 years, and it has a great energy.”

What was your first concert?

“I went to see Carrie Underwood with my wife. We were super close to the stage, and it was pretty great. Not embarrassing at all, really.  Another one worth mentioning is Darius Rucker.” 

Do you believe that people either look like frogs or rats?

“What? I mean, I think people do look like  different animals, yes. I guess I’d be a rat.”

What’s your idea of perfection?

“That one’s easy. My wife.”

Dream vacation?

“Key West.”

How long have you been coaching basketball?

“16 years. I’ve coached tons of different age groups but highschoolers are my favorite to teach.”

Have you ever been kicked out of a game as a coach for yelling at the ref?

“No but I did get taken out one time as a player.”