The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Lily Miller (‘24) is ready to leave school with her floaties, prepared for anything or anyone who might try to get her out of the game.
All is fair in love, war and Senior Assassin
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 29, 2024

The game starts at noon tomorrow, my phone read. The very sight of the message was enough to get me to stop in my tracks. Excitement mixed...

Spartan Questionnaire* (#5) featuring NHS officers Keenan Addis, Marshall Ricks and Aidan Lewis (*where we take a break from AP Style writing and get right to the good Q&A stuff with CSD people)

The newly elected NHS officers (Left) Vice President of Service Marshall Ricks (‘25), (Center) President Keenan Addis (‘25) and (Right) Secretary Aidan Lewis (‘25) share thoughts about scholarship, leadership, character and service (plus a few of their favorites) in the Spartan Questionnaire. Photo used courtesy of Ms. Emily McMullin, National Honor Society.

President Keenan Addis (‘25), Vice President of Service Marshall Ricks (‘25) and Secretary Aidan Lewis (‘25) are CSD students who have all been recently elected to National Honor Society leadership positions. They all uphold the four pillars of the NHS (scholarship, leadership, character and service) through their hard work, dedication and ambition in school and extracurricular activities like sports, clubs and other projects. In addition to the responsibilities the trio assumes as officers, they each answered our questions to share a little bit more about themselves as people.

Why did you decide to run for a National Honor Society leadership position?

Keenan – I decided to run for an NHS leadership position because I heard my best friend was also running and I was encouraged by the former vice president to run.

Marshall – I wanted to play a more involved role in my school community.

Aidan – I decided to run for this position because I wanted to make a lasting impact on the NHS program at our school.

What are you most excited for while being in a National Honor Society leadership position?

Keenan – I’m excited to have a positive impact on our school. 

Marshall – Making sure the peer tutoring program is running smoothly and next year’s ceremony.

Aidan – I am excited to make an impact in our school’s NHS peer tutoring program.

What is the most meaningful experience you’ve had while doing service?

Keenan – I’ve planted trees in River Run and it’s meaningful because the effort I put in that day will be shown for decades to come.

Marshall – While I was at Angels and Sparrows, I built a strong relationship with this kid I was tutoring. Watching him improve and learn was really meaningful to me. 

Aidan – The most meaningful experience was when I did service last year for the Davidson Land Conservancy. The service project was to plant trees on the Davidson College campus.

What is your motto?

Keenan – Don’t take anyone you know for granted.

Marshall – “Do or do not, there is no try” – Yoda.

Aidan – My motto is to live life to the fullest.

Favorite school subject?

Keenan – Math.

Marshall – Either math, or music production.

Aidan – My favorite school subject is science.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

Keenan – Don’t be afraid to fail.

Marshall – “You can’t remember what you don’t understand” – Dr Neale.

Aidan – One of my closest friends once told me that hard work beats talent because if you want something, you can earn it.

What is your idea of perfection?

Keenan – To give your 100% in everything to do.

Marshall – Arizona green tea.

Aidan – My idea of perfection is trying to get something close to perfect, but it doesn’t ruin its original value.

Favorite color?

Keenan – Rosso Corsa.

Marshall – Forest green.

Aidan – My favorite color is blue because I like cool colors, and blue is excellent.

What is one value that you constantly try to uphold?

Keenan – I try to be grateful for the things I have in my life.

Marshall – My integrity, and others’ trust.

Aidan – I uphold the value of hard work because you can do anything.

Where is the coolest place you’ve ever visited?

Keenan – The Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

Marshall – Broadway Street in Nashville.

Aidan – The coolest place I’ve ever visited is New York City.

If you could shake hands with one person (living or dead) who would it be?

Keenan – Theodore Roosevelt.

Marshall – Allan Holdsworth.

Aidan – I would shake hands with Jesus Christ because he is the most remarkable person on earth.

What is your favorite season of the year and why?

Keenan – Summer, it’s nice and relaxing and the best sports are happening.

Marshall – Fall because the weather is perfect.

Aidan – My favorite season is the fall because I love the cool weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving and the overall vibe of what the fall season brings.