The Student News Site of Community School of Davidson

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

CSD Spartan Media

Polls

What’s #1 on your dream extreme bucket list?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Lily Miller (‘24) is ready to leave school with her floaties, prepared for anything or anyone who might try to get her out of the game.
All is fair in love, war and Senior Assassin
Ava Jordan, Deputy Editor-in-Chief and Opinions Editor • April 29, 2024

The game starts at noon tomorrow, my phone read. The very sight of the message was enough to get me to stop in my tracks. Excitement mixed...

New Year! New You? How to achieve your New Year’s resolution.

Evan Mulligan
Many people fail to achieve their New Year’s resolutions but that doesn’t mean they are unreachable. If you follow just some of the simple steps, you can ensure you achieve your resolution in 2024.

It is no secret that many fail to achieve New Year’s resolutions. 

This is true for most populations, especially high school students. Many high school students may dedicate themselves to losing 20 pounds, eating healthier, or improving their grades, only to give up by February. 

But there are several proven ways that will allow you to achieve your goals.

A simple way to make these seemingly lofty goals more achievable is by breaking them into smaller, more manageable pieces. 

Let’s say you are struggling with your overall English grade. Instead of looking at your grade as a whole, break it into parts, perhaps focusing on getting an “A” on your next essay and building from there. 

Is weight your issue? Instead of trying to lose an intimidating 20 pounds, break it up into smaller goals, maybe 5 pounds per month.

This method will help you take smaller steps to achieve these larger goals.

Another method is to make yourself accountable.

If you are trying to eat healthier, you may attempt to use a digital tracker to document what you eat each day so you can analyze where you have room to improve your eating habits. Accountability often leads to results.

Another way to keep yourself motivated is by celebrating your small victories. 

According to Harvard Health Publishing, celebrating small victories is a source of motivation. Small victories help you feel an intermediate sense of accomplishment.

An action you also could take is to buy yourself an ice cream cone whenever you manage to get an “A” on a big assignment. Rewards can taste good, too.

Celebrating small victories helps you feel a sense of accomplishment by rewarding progress toward your goals.

Another way to keep yourself on track is by analyzing your failures.

The reason to do this is because you will be able to figure out where you went wrong and ensure you can avoid that mistake in the future.

According to Reuters, a way to help achieve your New Year’s resolutions is by identifying obstacles to achieving these goals.

Let’s go back to your weight loss goal. If you identify the obstacle to losing weight as buying two pints of ice cream a week, this will allow you to do a course correction and avoid taking actions that prevent you from achieving your resolution.

Many people fail to achieve their New Year’s resolutions but that doesn’t mean they are unreachable. If you follow just some of the simple steps, you can ensure you will achieve your resolution in 2024.