Spartan Spotlight: Joy Warner

Josh Andrews

After 35 years working in education and 20 years of fulfilling her dream of serving as a director of Community School of Davidson in North Carolina, Joy Warner is moving into life’s next episode: retirement.

Warner got interested in education as a child. She always felt as though her “purpose” in life was to be in the education field and to make a difference by prioritizing a sense of community and relationships with students. And that’s exactly what she’s done.

Q: Tell me about how you originally got into education and how that passion came about?

A: I always loved children even as a young girl.  I used to play teacher all the time as a child.  When I went to college in 1982, I was trying to decide between teaching and nursing. I landed on teaching my first semester and never looked back.

Q: What were your experiences with creating a school?

A: It was, and still is the hardest thing I have ever done. I worked for no salary for the first three years of our school in order to make it happen and I am grateful my husband has a career that enabled us to pay our bills and support our family so that we could open this school.   As an educator, I can say that the hardest part about opening a charter school in NC is that there is no funding for the facility. That made the facility the biggest financial and logistical challenge.

Q: What were the goals you had originally for CSD? Did you accomplish them?

A: My goal is to bring together educators and families to build a school where children and holistic education are at the center of every decision. Yes, I believe WE accomplished this. CSD is not perfect but it is incredibly special.

Q: What is your absolute favorite part/memory of being the leader of a school for the past years?

A: Drawing my “dream on a napkin” with Ms. Tomko and the moment we thought of our opening name; Children’s Community School [Community School of Davidson’s former name].

Q: What leadership struggles did you encounter during the Covid pandemic? How did you work through those struggles?

A: I believe hands down the biggest challenge was our fractured community. Covid became politicized and our precious community fell prey to the damage that can come from polarizing politics and the “us against them” mentality. I have never in my career been on the receiving end of so much anger.

Q: How have you balanced your work life and personal life over all of these years?

A: I would not say this has been an area of strength for me, quite honestly. However, time in nature, walking, reading, and spending with cherished family and friends are all priorities that seem to help me find peace. In the last two years, I have also prioritized adequate sleep and healthy eating and that has made a world of difference in how I feel.

Q: What will you miss the most about having the responsibility of leading a school?

A: The students, staff, and parents are my family. I cherish the deep connections, and I am reminded daily that the work I do matters greatly. I will miss those daily connections but prayerfully count on the continued meaning and purpose found in my next steps.

Q: How do you feel about moving forward into the future? What are your new plans for the future?

A: I feel peaceful. CSD is in good hands and I fully expect it to thrive. I am honored to have served but it is time for you guys to step up and take CSD to the next level. I have promised myself not to make any huge decisions about my future. I don’t want to make impulsive decisions from a place of fear. Right now, all of my attention is on preparing for the succession transition. When I complete that, I hope to “quiet the noise” of my busy work life so I can meditate and pray and discern my next step in my life journey. I do believe I may want to write a book that tells the story of CSD. I believe every child deserves what we try to give our students.