11 Books You Need to Read Over Winter Break

Hope Mullins, Editor in Chief

Do you have a long car ride ahead of you? Free time with nothing to do? Love to cuddle up on the couch with a good book?

Here are 11 book recommendations from teachers at the Community School of Davidson!

Title: The Midnight Library

Author: Matt Haig

“It reminded me of a life lesson and blessing that I felt this year…I was reminded that even amidst this tragic year filled with so much collective sadness, grief, and pain on our earth, that hope can survive even the depths of despair.”- Joy Warner

Title: The Humans

Author: Matt Haig

“An alien is sent to earth to stop a mathematician from solving what was supposed to be an unsolvable problem that would basically change the world as we know it. He kills and inhabits this mathematician’s body, and while discovering that the guy wasn’t really very likable, he also learns all about what it means to be human. I loved this book because it offers so many great glimpses into humans, human nature, and life here on earth from the perspective of someone (an alien from a distant planet) for whom all of this is new.”- Jennifer Chaffman

Title: Firekeeper’s Daughter

Author: Angeline Boulley

The Firekeeper’s Daughter, a great novel about an 18-year-old young woman, Daunis, who has just graduated high school and is about to go to college when her life is turned upside down by a tragedy. What’s more, she finds out the guy she’s just begun dating isn’t who she thinks he is. In fact, she really doesn’t know who he is at all. Daunis becomes an informant for the FBI in a crystal meth investigation that threatens to unravel her Ojibwe community in northern Michigan. I learned so much about the Ojibwe ceremonies, traditions, food, and language. The plot kept me turning pages and rooting for Daunis all the way. This book is so good it’s about to become a Netflix series!”- Sara Behnke

Title: A Gentleman in Moscow

Author: Amor Towles

Teacher: Connie Wessner

Title: Ready Player One

Author: Ernest Cline

“I enjoyed this book because it was full of the things I remember from my childhood. It takes place in a dystopian future that is built around a virtual reality system where people can basically be or do anything. When the creator dies, he leaves a quest that users can embark on, and whoever finishes the quest inherits control of the system and his fortune. It is full of video game references, sci-fi trivia, and fantasy role play that is reminiscent of all the things I enjoyed as a kid, many of which have become popular again. The story is compelling and drives you along. It’s in the top 5 of my favorite fiction books outside of the classics like Lord of the Rings and Narnia.”- Will Odom

Title: The Thousand Crimes of Ming Tsu

Author: Tom Lin

“It’s lots of fun so far.”- Anthony Yodice

Title: Anxious People

Author: Fredrick Backman

“Backman always has the most magnificent way of capturing the true depth of the human experience. You simply cannot put down his books.”- Kim Keith

Title: The Guest List

Author: Lucy Foley

“Entertaining mystery – captivating escape.”- Leslie Bragg

Title: The Book Theif

Author: Markus Zusak

Teacher: Janis Houlihan

Title: Dear Data

Authors: Giorgia Lupi and Stefanie Posavec

“Essentially they agreed to count and display data about one topic each week for 52 weeks. They shared the data on a postcard that they then mailed to the other. Lupi lives in New York and Posavec lives in London. The resulting book is just the postcards with their “key” and the depiction of data with a note about what they learned about themselves from the data they collected each week. It is really interesting, and very intricate data collection systems. They collected data about a whole range of topics like how many times they complained in a week, the number of times they picked up their phone in a week, the number of times they gave or received a hug in the week, etc.”- Susan Ban

Title: Bear Town

Author: Fredrik Backman

Teacher: Amy Tomalis